Thursday, September 1, 2011

Introduction

   
     Since this is my first blog entry I will begin by introducing myself. My name is Karen, I am twenty two years old. I was raised in Santa Cruz California, but at the age of seventeen my family and I moved to San Jose. I am a senior at San Jose State University and will be graduation in May 2012 with a major in Political Science and a minor in Psychology. I am in the process of planning my wedding which will take place December 17th.
     My fiancé and I decided to get married through the Catholic Church since both of our parents are devoted Catholics. The experience of planning our wedding has been very exciting but at the same time very frustrating. It has been frustrating because I never imagined the amount of requirements that are needed in order to be married in the Catholic Church. It has been meeting after meeting and class after class.  I understand that certain preparation is needed before marriage but seriously this has gone to an extreme. Today, for example we spent three hours in a couple’s counseling talking about finances and sexuality. The topics we discussed were common sense and extremely superfluous. My finance and I are very overwhelmed with how they have decided to prepare couples for marriage. I asked the priest why the church had implemented all these new requirements and he stated that it was because of the rising divorce rate. He said that according to the Catholic Church all these counseling classes would prepare us and thus, attenuate the chances of divorce. If this is true, we will see.


*1. Attenuate:
        to weaken or reduce in force, intensity, effect, quantity, or value.
*2. Superfluous:
        being more than is sufficient or required; excessive, Unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment