Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bad Friday

         Friday was one of the hardest days of my life. It was about 1 o’clock in the afternoon and I was at work when my phone rang. My father was on the other end of the line.  His tone was serious as he explained to me in Spanish that a car had just hit my Chihuahua, Coky; my baby of 14 years.  Quickly, I gathered up my things and left work. On the way home all I could do was picture the acutest scenario. I prayed that my dog was alright. As soon as I got home I held my dog and instantly noticed that his eye was pulled out of the eye-socket. It was horrible seeing my dog in this state. I quickly rushed him to the emergency veterinarian, where they immediately took him in. Coky was trembling and was in a deep state of shock.
       The vet made me wait in the lobby while he performed a couple of tests and x-rays to determine his condition. About 3 hours later the vet informed me that according to the x-rays, my dogs jaw was broken and his eye had been pulled out of the eye-socket. They explained to me that based on the impact of the accident the outcome could have been worse. They told me he would first need to be stabilized in order for them to perform the surgery and to put the eye back in place. They issued me a quote of the cost of the surgery and the medications. The grand total ranged from 3000 to 4000 dollars. This is a considerable amount, yet I didn’t hesitate to go forward with the necessary procedures.
        I am just thankful that he is okay and is recuperating quickly. I can’t imagine what I would have done if something worse would have happened to him. It’s amazing how such small creatures can be such a big part of your life. Every day when I come home, he is the first one to greet me with joy and happiness. I don’t understand how many people have pets, yet they don’t get attached to them in any way. Many of my friends who own dogs say they never take them to the vet or even on an afternoon walk. I always tell them that that is not a good way of life for those animals. But I guess some people just don’t seem to understand.
Vocabulary Words
acutest- (of a bad, difficult, or unwelcome situation or phenomenon) Present or experienced to a severe or intense degree.
recuperating- Recover from illness or exertion.

No comments:

Post a Comment